History
162
wp-singular,page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-162,wp-theme-stockholm,theme-stockholm,qi-blocks-1.4.8,qodef-gutenberg--no-touch,qode-social-login-1.1.3,qode-restaurant-1.1.1,stockholm-core-2.4,woocommerce-no-js,qodef-qi--no-touch,qi-addons-for-elementor-1.9.6,select-theme-ver-9.14.4,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_menu_,qode-mobile-logo-set,qode-single-product-thumbs-below,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.13.0,vc_responsive,elementor-default,elementor-kit-987

Business Women’s Club

The Harmony Building originated with the Business Women’s Club (1899 – 1955). This group of women believed in learning and a mission of harmony, understanding that human and environmental health are holistically connected.

History

The construction of the Harmony Building on then known as Walnut St., provided a solid headquarters for women in the business community.

 

The Business Women’s Club created a healthy place for women to gather, sell their goods, nourish their physical health with exercise and nutrition, and foster cultural health with thoughtful organizing and gathering. Just as the building was the epicenter for women’s progress and development in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries in Kentucky, it will be reignited as a regional hub for urban/rural connections, modeling that preservation and progress can go hand-in-hand.
 
1899

Business Women's Club was Created. 200 students enrolled in classes, 800 volumes existed in the library, and jobs for 46 women were fulfilled.

1911

The new Building was complete, which included the Exchange, 3 stores, a library, gymnasium, kitchen, and multiple classrooms.

1916

The Club had 716 Members, all 58 tenancy rooms were full, 151,050 meals were served during the year.

1955

The Club sold the Building. In 2008 the Building was added to the National Historic Places Registry.

Making Change

Creating Impact

The Business Women’s Club provided fifty-six beds at low cost, a large formal dining room and two large meeting rooms. This allowed women a place to stay and gather for business, important meetings, and club events. The building also contained two classrooms and a library. These classrooms provided education to offset the difference in political power held by men’s skill-based unions.

 

To raise funds for the new building, classes, and services, the first floor of the club was divided into four storefronts. One of the stores was The Exchange, a place where club members could sell their personal hand-made items and crafts. The Exchange was a long running business for the club, at least into the 1920’s. Other businesses occupied the club’s storefronts and building as well.